Sunday 25 May 2014

My bank holiday curse…

We are blessed in the UK with free GP services, Free emergency A&E departments and even a free phone number to call if you are not sure what help you need or what may be wrong with you. I have a great GP and can talk to them about my concerns. I am a proud user of the NHS… I certainly get my monies worth.


However, a handful of days in the year, you can’t access your normal services as we celebrate bank holidays. It all shifts to the out of hour’s service, which for us means an hour’s journey to the nearest centre. The thing is my body didn’t get this memo!


It’s almost a standing joke now that I will always get ill on a bank holiday. Previous issues from the last couple of years include chicken pox, oral thrush from steroids, needing steroids for my CH, Measles and a chest infection.


On May the 4th this year (which I can only assume is Star Wars holiday) I was feeling fine, sure that the curse was broken. I was out for a drink with a friend when I was called in to hospital due to an abnormal blood test and was admitted for the entire weekend. Boo the curse strikes again. Diagnosed with a scary lifelong illness…not the day at the beach I had planned.


This weekend is my favourite bank holiday weekend as it always falls near my birthday(which is on Thursday if anyone would like to know! He he). Again feeling fine I started the weekend on Friday diligently undertaking my aunty duties by having my 3 nieces for two days. I did the second day by myself as my wife was feeling rubbish. The kids were picked up at 6pm and by 9pm we were at the emergency doctors and I … yes me! … was being told that I have multiple infections and needed anti biotic’s. If I get sicker I have to adjust my medication for my Addison’s. We only rang because Shell was ill… not me.. NOT ME!!!


This was my reaction by midnight last night… why me? Why does it always happen on bank holidays? And how can I keep plodding along running round after 3 kids without even noticing that I have multiple infections… I know mums everywhere do this everyday… but I can afford to get ill, not without noticing it! So I did what any 33 year old (enjoy saying that while I still can) would do… I called my mum and cried.


I am sick and tired of always being sick and tired… I’ve even started getting infections that people have to google as they are so random!


So today & probably tomorrow I’m on an enforced DUVET and DVD day! We both are. Any suggestions for good films please let me know.


Oh and if anybody needs me in the August bank holiday … I’ll be enjoying the sunshine somewhere!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment