Saturday 31 May 2014

living your life... the best we can


Life is such a roller coaster with this illness. I have been having some good days recently, some really good days. Some days with clear daylight between attacks where I can be in charge. I have adapted so quickly...crazy quickly… to feeling well. I have an action packed routine every day now that starts at 5:45am as soon as my attacks finish and goes through to the next pain!

I’ve got so much ticked off my to do list in just 3 weeks

Inevitably, with the 40 mins to 2 hours’ sleep a day that that has been giving me, on the back on months of being ill 22-24 hours a day my body is now rebelling. After just 3 weeks of ‘life’, I’m ill. My Cluster headaches are starting to creep into MY space in the day time and I’ve had 3 infections this week alone and woke up today with a raging sore throat.

I can’t sustain being ill all night and living all day

But I refuse to sit and rest and sleep during the pain free times… I want to be living and enjoying the limited time that I get blessed with good health. But 3 weeks is about my limit. It’s at this point that despite having sticking to my meds and charging routine I realise that in the balance of my life my health needs more attention. I need to rest more (I HATE THAT!). I am very focused on eating healthily at the moment but sometimes I forget to drink enough so that needs attention. But rest is the main thing.

Pre Cluster headaches I lived life at 100 miles an hour and I forget that the good days now can’t be lived at the same pace. It so unfair though, when I was living my life like that, I had plenty of time to rest… I could rest anytime. Now I can’t rest when I’m well… it seems like such a waste of ‘good’ time. It’s all in the balance of things. If I live life too fast I end up feeling like I do today, curled up on the sofa under a blanket with a number of infections, feeling rubbish, when I had a lovely day with my wife planned.  

There is a balance to be found… time to rest, time to be Katie, time to stay well by eating, drinking and medicating the best I can, fun, exercise and a social life. I thought I had found it…but I’m so run down its silly.

This illness is not just a headache, the lethargy and exhaustion is all consuming. I don’t mourn my old life anymore; I grieved for it a long time ago. However I feel lazy, or that I will be perceived as being lazy if I make time for rest. I want my life in between pain to look like it used to; but it cant.

In order to make the most of this good time that my neurologist and I have worked too hard for, I need to get the balance of my life right. However after 8 years of living with this illness chronically I am yet to find the right balance.

I can’t do this rollercoaster anymore… I need to find the wellness balance for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment