Wednesday 4 June 2014

The Foggy Haze


So when I got diagnosed, these are some of the things I wasn’t expecting to be in my life…

My head is ‘foggy’, that’s the best way to describe it. Although some days I would say my head is ruined!

My memory is appalling, not my long term memory, that’s actually really good. It’s my short term memory that’s really bad. As an illustration, I’m sitting here watching TV this morning, the ad break comes on and by the 2nd ad I had completely forgotten what I was watching. I do this all the time and will often flick between channels on the break and end up watching parts of 3 or 4 shows in an hour.

Last week I was standing in the middle of my kitchen about to do some tidying up which is quite an achievement for me, and I thought I’d like to have a little dance while I did it. So out came my I phone and I knew what music I wanted… I knew but I couldn’t remember the artists name… I tried but I couldn’t! I could see the album cover… but I just couldn’t remember. I sat on the floor and I cried. I don’t know why this particular incident upset me so much. I forget all the time, but maybe there is something about the pain free hours I have at the moment that make the things I tolerate when I’m in pain, because the pain is my focus, that bit worse.

It was Calvin Harris for anyone who is interested!

When this process started I was reading for my PhD. This is when things started to go wrong and apart from the pain my most obvious sign that I was unwell was my new inability to read anything… and I mean anything. I would read a sentence and by the time I got to the end I had forgotten the beginning. Needless to say I didn’t complete that degree!

Latterly after my stimulator was implanted I completed a masters in Social Work. But not before I requested a formal assessment of my situation. It was at this point that I was diagnosed with acquired dyslexia. This broke my heart. Education has always been at the core of my life and after undertaking GCSE’s, A levels and 3 degrees with relative ease and enjoyment I was heartbroken. But the support I got was phenomenal and I learnt to learn differently. But it’s not easy… its not me.

I love writing and reading but audio books and blogging are the nearest I come to it nowadays. I miss it.

That perpetual feeling of having forgotten something is depressing. ‘What did I come in here for?’ ‘can you please pass me the …. Erm… that… the red thing…sauce… please…ketchup!!!’ ‘where did I put my keys?’ It’s constant every day.

Word recall is frustrating to say the very least. I forget or rather can’t produce one word in about 20. Some days it’s much much worse.

When there is a TV on, or we are on a noisy train, any background noise I can’t make sense of what people are saying to me. I have to be able to see their face to read their lips… there is nothing wrong with my hearing I just can’t process the different noises. I don’t think there is anything wrong with hearing…maybe I need to get that checked out just to be sure!

So everyday, regardless of the pain level is ‘Foggy’. Words are a challenge to me, reading writing and hearing are a problem to me. There are a number of hypotheses… the medication (especially the anti-epileptics are famous for this), the illness, the sleep deprivation. Certainly changes in all three for me have had an effect at some point.

So if you see me struggling… just be patient with me. I’m trying to make sense of this world through the fog!

No comments:

Post a Comment